In many modern countries people who are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT), are being persecuted for their sexual orientation. But the United States is a place where gay refugees and transgenders are allowed to seek asylum.

Getting asylum in the United States for gay refugees

If you belong to the LGBT community, and you are demonized for that in your home country, you may consider arriving to the U.S. to receive asylum. The United States government started accepting the asylum seekers based on their gender in not so distant past. But still receiving asylum in the U.S. based on a gender identity is not very simple.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines five grounds for people to seek asylum, and gay people are considered a social group. If you belong to such a group and being persecuted, you qualify for asylum. But as with other grounds for requesting asylum, you will have to give solid proofs for your application.

First, you must corroborate your claims that gay people (or LGBT community in general) are persecuted in your country. Corroborating your claims is the most important part of your application for asylum.

Another important part of your asylum process is the interview with the asylum officer. The asylum officer will ask you many personal questions such as how you became gay. Your story must be convincing, because the asylum officer may not decide in your favor if they find your claims unreasonable and untrustworthy. And note that it is more difficult for lesbians than for gay men to get granted asylum in the United States.

Our recommendation is to hire a professional lawyer, who would help determine which facts in your story are plausible, and which are not. Also, we recommend you to read our article to know all about the asylum interviews.

The LGBT community in the United States is accepted, and gay refugees from all over the world can arrive to the U.S. if they are victimized in their home country. If you are one of such people, a professional lawyer will help you to receive asylum in the United States.

Was this page helpful?

( No ratings yet )